IRINGA MUNICIPAL COUNCIL.
Iringa Municipal Council is part of Iringa District, Iringa Region. It lies between 7º south of equator and between longitudes 35º East of the Greenwich Meridian. The altitude is between 1,560 and 2000 meters above sea level. The Municipality covers an area of 176.987 square kms.
The municipality is round bordered by Iringa District except for Kilolo District to the South East.
After the Germans won the battle against the Hehe at Kalenga by capturing the fortress of Mkwawa which was called Lilinga, they establish an administrative centre with the same name. Due to the pronouncing difficult for Lilinga (Fortress), they called it Iringa. They decided to built it at the present location due to the fact that is situated on top of plateau, which makes it easy to observe any attack from Hehes in case they decide to reorganize.
The Germans occupied Iringa town between 1890 and 1914. from 1914 to 1960 the town was under British rule. During 1950’s Iringa town was developed by maize farmers, who were cultivating maize in Isimani area about 20 Kms to 48 Kms north of Iringa.
In 1955, Iringa become a township authority (Iringa Township Authority). Iringa town became a Municipal Council in 1988 and its first Mayor was elected. Read more history